Spring Cleaning isn’t just about de-cluttering your home. It’s also the perfect time for Canadians to “spring clean” their eating habits. Becel has a number of great tips and recipes to help kick start a heart-healthy diet:
1. Good Fats – It may surprise you to know that not all fat is bad. In fact, the unsaturated fats in Becel margarine are part of the Good Fats Family (other sources include avocados, nuts and seeds, vegetable oils and fish) and is a source of Omega-3 polyunsaturated fat. Replacing saturated fats with polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats from vegetable oils helps lower cholesterol.
2. Shake the Salt – Canadians can take steps to help reduce sodium consumption as part of an overall healthy diet. Cook from scratch (control the amount of salt and sodium added to the recipe); use sodium-reduced and salt-free ingredients (experiment with salt-free seasonings such as ginger, garlic, black pepper, lemon juice and various herbs and spices); and compare Nutrition Facts tables (look at the serving size and sodium level on similar products and opt for the one that delivers less sodium per equivalent serving size).
3. Get Your Vegetables On – With greenery growing everywhere, it’s also the perfect time to enjoy artichokes, asparagus, and kale in your meals. They’re tasty and healthy choices, so enjoy them while they’re in season!
4. Smart Snacking – When spring cleaning your diet, it’s important to select snacks that are low in saturated fat and trans-fat free. Here are some keys to heart-healthy snacking: Limit the amount of saturated fat and eliminate trans fat from your diet; opt for fresh or frozen vegetables and fruit that have no added salt, sugar or fats; increase the amount of fibre in your diet, especially soluble fibre.
5. Try this healthy Grilled Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper & Arugula Sandwich recipe from Becel – perfect for spring:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (100 g ea.)
4 pieces wholegrain French baguette, (about 10 cm ea.), halved
4 tsp. (20 mL) Becel Original or Light margarine
1 cup (250 mL) arugula leaves
1 roasted red pepper, cut into 4 strips
Directions: Season chicken breasts, if desired with salt and pepper. Grill or broil chicken until thoroughly cooked. Slice diagonally, then set aside. Spread 2 bread halves with Becel Original or Light margarine, then top with arugula, chicken and roasted red pepper. Season, if desired, with salt and black pepper. Top with remaining bread.
For more recipe ideas and info visit www.becel.ca