Heading into March, Nutrition Month, winter doesn’t seem to be letting up and peach season seems far off. Here are a few simple tips that will help you enjoy ways to increase your fruit intake with peaches.
Five Easy Ways to Boost Your Fruit Intake Without Even Trying
(Courtesy of California Cling Peach Board)
1. Dress up any salad, by adding canned California cling peaches to your favourite type of lettuce and veggies.
2. Pineapple is a pizza staple, why not substitute with diced canned peaches?
3. Baking a batch of muffins or breakfast loaf? Add canned peaches for a fibre boost.
4. Craving a smoothie? Substitute canned peaches for frozen fruit and increase your Vitamin A and C intake.
5. Whether celebrating Pancake Tuesday or enjoying a weekend breakfast, canned peaches are a colourful and nutritious topping to pancakes, French toast and waffles.
Tex Mex Bean, Sweet Peppers & Bean Salad
1/2 cup Frozen corn
1 can (398ml) California Cling sliced peaches
1 can (540ml) Mixed beans
2 Sweet peppers, preferably red and green, cut into bite-size chunks
2 Green onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 tbsp Red wine vinegar
1 Large garlic clove, minced
2 tsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp Each salt and dried oregano leaves
Generous pinch Cayenne pepper
1/2 cup Chopped coriander
Thaw corn. Drain peaches, reserving 1 tbsp (15ml) juice. Then chop peaches into bite-size chunks and add to a large bowl along with corn, beans, peppers and green onions. In a small bowl, whisk reserved peach juice with oil, vinegar, garlic, chili powder, salt and oregano and cayenne. Stir into salad along with coriander. Add more salt and cayenne if needed. Serves 4 to 6.