The epicentre of Toronto, Yonge-Dundas Square (YDS), will be teeming with free live music, and movies about music, all summer long!
Every Tuesday Night – MINI Canada presents City Cinema: But Can They Act? Music Icons in Film
YDS will transform into an open-air movie theatre. Each City Cinema screening in the Square will be preceded by a short concert film from the Live at Massey Hall concert series, which has featured such Canadian artists as Destroyer (August 4), Zaki Ibrahim (August 18) and Dan Mangan + Blacksmith (August 25).
– August 4 @ 7:45pm, a double-bill starting with Viva Las Vegas starring Elvis Presley, Ann-Margret, and Cesare Danova. Will be followed by Elvis: That’s The Way It Is! (1970); a documentary with a backstage pass to the life of Elvis Presley.
– August 11 @ 9pm, Dick Tracy (1990) with Madonna and Warren Beatty where a detective finds his life vastly complicated while trying to battle the mob.
– August 18 @ 6:45pm, The Wiz (1978) with Michael Jackson, Diana Ross and Richard Pryor. Followed by a compilation of interviews, rehearsals and backstage footage of Michael Jackson as he prepares for his series of sold-out shows in London in Michael Jackson’s This Is It! (2009).
– August 25 @ 9pm, Inside Llewyn Davis (2013) with Justin Timberlake, Oscar Isaac, and Carey Mulligan.
Every Friday Night – Virgin Mobile presents Indie Fridays at 8:30pm
– August 7, returning to YDS are the indie rock band who straddle the line of rock n’ roll and pop, Fast Romantics. Following Fast Romantics will be Juno Award nominated, Kandle & the Krooks’ with her elegiac and moody brand of singing and songwriting.
– August 14, South African-Canadian conceptual singer, multi-dimensional storyteller, performing artist, director, choreographer, fashion icon and talented vocalist, Zaki Ibrahim will take over the Square.
– Closing out August on the 21st are self-described beat junkies Grand Analog who will fill YDS with a beautiful mess of rap’n’roll, dub and soul.
For those on the search for some respite from the hectic pace of life, YDS also transforms into a quiet oasis on scheduled fountain days. And there is always free WIFI for Canadian Virgin Mobile Members. Simply select WIFI@YDS and enter your phone number to hop online.
Admission is FREE to all these events. For more info and full schedule of events visit www.YDSquare.ca.